Pak World - The Home of Online Pakistani Entertainment!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Handled Shoaib Akhtar Differently - Moin Khan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2007-07-03

I Handled Shoaib Akhtar Differently - Moin Khan Empty
PostSubject: I Handled Shoaib Akhtar Differently - Moin Khan   I Handled Shoaib Akhtar Differently - Moin Khan Default12Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Chirping away behind the stumps, egging bowlers on, or changing set fields much to his skipper’s chagrin. It’s not for nothing that wicket-keeper Moin Khan was hailed as Pakistan’s unofficial captain.

Somehow his consistency and sleight of hand, both behind and front of the stumps, deserted him after the 1999 World Cup. There were calls for his head after the India-Pakistan Test at Multan where Sachin Tendulkar bowled him through his legs. A string of injuries in the 2003-04 season did his career no good. With Kamran Akmal going great guns, Moin’s heady days may have petered out.

Unlike in the cricket field, he is quite measured in speech during an interview, although strongly critical of the way cricket is run in Pakistan.

In an exclusive interview with Cricketnext.com, the former stumper spoke about Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistan cricket, it’s various predicaments, the road ahead and much more.

Indian cricket seems to be getting back on the rails. What’s the road ahead for Pakistan?

First, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) must guard against sweeping changes that will take our cricket nowhere. I say this because I believe that those who have been around for a while are the best available talent in the country. When Pakistan bond well, they play with flair and look an entirely different side. If they can gel together this season, you will see the results.

Your reaction to the new coach.

It may be premature to assess Geoff Lawson who is yet to start his stint. But I feel we have a mental block against our former cricketers. There are many in Pakistan who have been there, seen it all and could have done a good job.

We tried a foreign coach (Bob Woolmer) but didn’t get the results. You could call it an opinion in hindsight but I think appointing Woolmer was a mistake.

Lawson may not have experience coaching international sides but had played at the highest level. We have to see how it goes.

Certain quarters in Pakistan have reservations on foreign coaches. Do they feel language is the impediment?

Well, I don’t think so. Our players may not be able to communicate in English effectively but they can certainly understand the language. Occasionally, others around may help interpret what the coach is trying to say.

In Lawson, Pakistan have a bowling coach. Who will talk to the batsmen? Hasn’t Pakistan’s batting been an area of concern?

Usually, a level III coach is competent enough to handle all the areas of the game. We can’t have a separate batting coach or different coaches for different positions. The basics should be laid at the junior level.

Again, allow me to reiterate that we don’t use our ex-cricketers resourcefully. If not as full-time coach, we should use the best hands at the National Cricket Academy or at the 11 regional academies where talent bathes.

You talk of the best. In India, having the greats at the National Cricket Academy does not work. They can hardly dedicate quality time owing to other engagements.

It’s not right to commit yourself to a cause and disappear. Running a cricket academy must a full-time responsibility and whoever is in charge should be suitably remunerated. Also, I believe he should be part of the academy’s management. If you don’t have passion for the job, don’t involve yourself in it.

What’s in store for Inzamam-ul Haq who has missed out on a central contract? Is it the end of the road for him?

Too many theories are doing the rounds but I don’t wish to comment on that. Nothing should matter apart from his form and fitness. If Inzamam is fit for the Tests, I see no reason why he shouldn’t be part of the team.

When you captained Pakistan how did you handle the likes of Shoaib Akhtar, a match-winner with a self-destructive streak? Did you treat him differently bearing in mind the larger picture?

Yes, in a way. As captain, my understanding with Shoaib was different. For all his warts, he was my match-winner. I knew from the outset that high-handed attitude wouldn’t work if I had to get the best out of him.

I gave him the field he wanted, irrespective of the situation. I used to tell him, “Take the field you want but give me the wickets.” Idea was to set the tiger loose and just let him be.

What’s your take on the much-bandied Indian Cricket League (ICL)?

The next-generation cricketers will benefit from the ICL. I think it’s a good opportunity for youngsters. They will be better cricketers after they rub shoulders with the big-names. If you ask me I have no qualms embracing the concept.
Back to top Go down

I Handled Shoaib Akhtar Differently - Moin Khan
Page 1 of 1