Pak World - The Home of Online Pakistani Entertainment!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arendse & Naidoo Elected to CSA's Helm

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2007-07-03

Arendse & Naidoo Elected to CSA's Helm Empty
PostSubject: Arendse & Naidoo Elected to CSA's Helm   Arendse & Naidoo Elected to CSA's Helm Default12Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has elected Norman Arendse and Logan Naidoo as president and vice-president respectively.
Advocate Arendse, who presided over a turbulent period in Western Province cricket, came to international fame in 2004 when he represented the Zimbabwe Cricket Union against Heath Streak and his fellow players.
The Western Province Cricket Association is no longer the powerhouse on the field it used to be but Arendse, having been elected CSA vice-president in 2006, was always the favourite to succeed Ray Mali once he moved to the head of the International Cricket Council (ICC) following the death of Percy Sonn.
Arendse and Naidoo were elected unopposed after rivals withdrew their nominations before the Annual General Meeting. Naidoo has served two terms as head of the KwaZulu-Natal Cricket Union, both of which have been characterised by fierce power struggles. In his first tenure, an investigation uncovered financial and procedural irregularities, including the purchase of a race horse with union funds by a consortium of which Naidoo was a member.
Arendse promised no let-up in the transformation policies of CSA. Having wept openly as he paid tribute to his "unschooled, illiterate" parents, Arendse promised: "Development and transformation will continue to be the driving force of South African cricket. And we will continue to promote excellence because the two are not incompatible."
"For some, transformation is seen as a weakness but for us it is our strength. We have seen the rise of many Afrikaans and black cricketers," said Arendse, who has previously campaigned for high office in South African rugby and football.
Mali perhaps inadvertently highlighted Arendse's reputation in his farewell speech to Cricket South Africa. "When Norman became my vice-president, I received calls saying watch out, this man will stab you in the back. But I always look at two sides of a person and I don't know the Norman Arendse who is going all out for coups. He loves cricket, just like me, and he complemented my leadership. A team doesn't need six Jacques Kallis's in it, you need someone to mix things up and I thank Norman for being loyal to me," Mali told the meeting.
Hentie van Wyk, the treasurer of CSA, reported a surplus of 129.6 million Rand [£9 million] in the financial year but said losses were expected in the next two years due to reduced ICC dividends and less attractive tours to South Africa.
Back to top Go down

Arendse & Naidoo Elected to CSA's Helm
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pak World - The Home of Online Pakistani Entertainment! :: The Cricket Zone :: World Cricket News & Discussion-
Jump to: