Pak World - The Home of Online Pakistani Entertainment!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ICL Finds A Supporter In Mongia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2007-07-03

ICL Finds A Supporter In Mongia Empty
PostSubject: ICL Finds A Supporter In Mongia   ICL Finds A Supporter In Mongia Default12Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:56 am

In spite of Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) recent threats to ban cricketers involved with Indian Cricket League (ICL), the ICL has found a staunch supporter in former Indian stumper Nayan Mongia, who felt it is a fantastic idea to get international stars to rub shoulders with young and aspiring local cricketers.

“Personally, I think it is a fantastic idea to bring in international stars like Brian Lara, Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne to play along with promising young Indian cricketers, who will, otherwise, will never be able to share the same dressing rooms with their childhood idols,” Mongia said.

“If this concept succeeded in a big way, the ICL probably will also popularise the Twenty20 format, which is still to catch on in our country right now. Knowingly or unknowingly, I think, ICL will end up promoting Twenty20 which could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the BCCI,” he added.

When pointed out that the BCCI and ICL are at loggerheads with the official body threatening to take action against any player (past or present) who is associated with ICL, Mongia said, he did not want to comment on it.

“I don’t want to get too deep into this controversy but what I want to point out is that ICL’s efforts will only help nurture young talents in the country and also help fulfil young cricketers’ dream of playing with or against international stars,” Mongia pointed out.

When asked whether he has got an offer from ICL to join them, he replied in the negative, but did not rule out a positive reply if offered a job.

“No, so far nobody from ICL have approached me with any offer but if a offer comes up I would definitely consider it provided I can do justice to the post offered and help promote the game,” he said.

Complimenting the Indian cricket team’s fine show at Trent Bridge, Mongia said, it was good to see new bowling heroes emerge on the scene but cautioned that the team should not get carried away as only half the job was done keeping in mind the Indian team’s past records of losing Test and one-day series after a good start.

“I think it was good to see Zaheer (Khan) emerge from the shadows of Anil Kumble and win the match for us with a nine-wicket haul. I think even our batsmen complimented our bowlers with good batting and I am sure their confidence will be sky high,” he said.
Back to top Go down

ICL Finds A Supporter In Mongia
Page 1 of 1