Pak World - The Home of Online Pakistani Entertainment!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Woolmer's Widow Brings Comfort To New Pakistan Coach

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2007-07-03

Woolmer's Widow Brings Comfort To New Pakistan Coach Empty
PostSubject: Woolmer's Widow Brings Comfort To New Pakistan Coach   Woolmer's Widow Brings Comfort To New Pakistan Coach Default12Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 pm

A PERSONAL letter from Bob Woolmer's widow has convinced former Test fast bowler Geoff Lawson he has nothing to fear in his new position as Pakistan cricket coach. A trained optometrist and natural optimist, the man they call Henry says he cannot see a downside to what is the most volatile job in international cricket.

Lawson leaves Sydney for Lahore on August 21, but he denies having any doubts about his new role despite his predecessor Woolmer dying during the World Cup. He had already decided to accept the two-year post with Pakistan when he received a letter from Woolmer's widow, Gill, based in South Africa. "It's a lovely letter about how he loved coaching Pakistan, loved the people and she wished me all the best," Lawson said. "It comforted me in the fact (Woolmer's family) gave me their support and they don't have any concerns whatsoever."

The bungled investigation into Woolmer's death began as a murder case. It concluded, months later, that Woolmer died of natural causes. Asked whether the confusion concerned him, Lawson replied: "That's why I've just been in the gym, so I don't have a heart attack. "You look through that stuff and you do wonder why the Jamaican authorities came out (and said it was murder). "It's only their initial announcement that's got people in a tizz about the whole thing. "Why couldn't they solve it? Because no one did it."

There are wider security issues in Pakistan. The Australian hockey team has sensationally withdrawn from December's Champions Trophy in Lahore following last month's bloody military siege at the Red Mosque in Islamabad. A Cricket Australia delegation has just returned from a security mission to Pakistan, confident Australia's first tour of the country in 10 years will go ahead next March.

Lawson was shocked by what he labelled an extraordinary misunderstanding of safety in Pakistan. "There's less concerns (in Pakistan) than I'd have going to London or New York," Lawson said. "I was in England in 2005 when all the bombs went off and that was scary.

"(People) see the Red Mosque shootout there, and hear about bin Laden hiding in the hills of Pakistan. But it's like if you're hiding in outback Australia and you live in Sydney."
Back to top Go down

Woolmer's Widow Brings Comfort To New Pakistan Coach
Page 1 of 1